Happy summer, stay healthy and pleased
Every season has its own beauty and of course its own little things to make us moaning. Summer is not an exception either. Generally the hottest season means more freedom to the kids and more possibilities to go out and spend some time in nature for all of us. For me it means long days and long talks with the folks under the sky. It means sweet strawberries and cool watermelons. It means the seaside and the sunshine. All sounds good, right? It’s good enough to make us easily forget about other summer things. Things that are for certain kinds of protections. To protect our skin and our hair, as well. Sun protection for hair belongs to summer hair care.
Most people are aware of the importance of skin protection. Many people have accepted that sunburn has several risks, and it’s really better to apply that cream, even if one doesn’t really like it. At the same time, there are not so many people to take care about the sun protection of their hair. Of course, there is a big difference between these two. Running the risk of a serious skin disease is not equal to losing the beauty of your hair, I see. Nevertheless, it’s better to protect it than working for months on getting it back.
And what are the most important steps?
- I know you’ve heard or read it too many times already, but it cannot be missed from such a list. Drink enough water. Dehydration can cause not only headache, dizziness or low blood pressure. It can halt hair growth. A lot of people prefer mineral water and they can buy it almost anywhere on their way. Others choose tap water and take their bottle with them. Do you like environment-friendly solutions? You can choose water in a 100% recyclable carton.
- Sleep enough: Long, summer days can make you feel like having more time. Just hanging out with friends a little more and you’ll realise that it’s too late again. Wise people say to go to bed early and get up early. But I’m not that wise person so I say to find what is best for you. Create a sleeping habit that fits your work and lifestyle best. Night owls go to bed early in vain, but you have to listen to your body. If you feel to be tired all the time, it’s better to make a change and ask a doctor’s advice to help about it. Poor sleep can have a bad effect on your overall health, and it can cause hair problems as well.
- Enjoy summer fruits and vegetables (like strawberries, watermelon, apple, cherry, cranberry, cucumber or carrots). It’s strange to give an advice about eating enough, especially when almost everybody would like to lose some weight for the perfect summer body, but my experience is drinking more and eating less in summer. The weather can make you feel thirsty then drinking too much can make you feel full. Your body still needs nutrients and vitamins so keeping a balanced diet is important also in summer. Summer fruits can provide necessary vitamins also for your hair.
- Protect your skin and hair: There are some natural oils that have UV protection properties. Using them for hair can be a natural and good solution, but I would not recommend using them on the skin instead of a sunscreen. High factor sun protective products are still the best option to prevent sunburn and some skin problems. If you prefer, you can choose such a product also for hair. The product range contains hair oils, sprays, shampoos. Using such products should be a part of summer hair care.
- Choose summer beddings: In summer most people prefer light and airy beddings with breathable fabrics, like linen or cotton. It’s healthier and more likely to have a quality sleep if you can keep your body cool thanks to summer beddings. Good for your health and good for your hair.
- If you can afford and you don’t go far, leave your car at home as many times as you can. Of course not when it’s 35-40 degrees outside, but in the U.K. it doesn’t happen very often. Walking is a good, but not really exhausting way of exercising. Being active is good for your body and for your hair. When you go somewhere on foot, you have the chance to see the beauty of summer, the beauty of nature. From another point of view, you can be alone with your thoughts. Or you can have the time for your favourite music or listen to an audio book you like.
- I was a little afraid of writing down the last step, but I go on. Put aside some housework just for a while. Don’t stress about it. Spend time with your family and friends instead. Of course I don’t say to be lazy and dirty. But if you don’t clean the windows on Saturday, but spend it with your family, making a trip or a barbecue, the world will not end. You can have wonderful summer memories and recall them with satisfaction later. You just have to allow it for yourself. Or you can remember how much you worked at home also in this season. Any connection to summer hair care? Less stress, less stress-related hair loss, not only in summer.
Summer can be fun. Or it can just go by like any other seasons. No one but you can fill it with memories. And no one but you can protect your health and beauty.
I suppose, you are interested also in taking good care of your skin. If so, click the button below and read the article that was originally appeared on Aedition.