Have You Tried Rice Water For Healthy And Beautiful Hair?
What is rice water and how to make it?
Rice water is something that anyone can make at home. Moreover, most of us have already made it several times in the kitchen. Just boil some rice in water without adding salt or butter and you’ll have milky white rice water. Cooking is not the only way to do it. You can have your own home-made rice water for hair in two ways: boiling and soaking.
- Boiling: Boil 2 cups of water and pour ½ cup of rinsed rice into it. Cook the rice and strain the rice water. Let it cool down before use.
- Soaking: Use ½ cup uncooked rice and 2 cups water. Mix the washed and strained rice with the water in a bowl. Stir until the water gets cloudy, then cover it and leave it for 30 minutes.
- If you want fermented rice water, leave it for 12-24 hours at room temperature. This way it will probably have higher amount of antioxidants and better PH levels.
Keep the fermented rice water in the fridge. When you use it, it’s better to apply diluted. Use half fermented rice water and half regular water. If you like, you can also add a few drops of lavender oil, too.
How long has it been used?
Rice water was used already in the ancient Heian period (794 – 1185 CE) in Japan. Also Chinese women used it daily, for their skin and for hair rinse. There’s a village in China what is called „Land of Rapunzels”, because the women of the tribe have beautiful, long hair. The Guiness Book of World certified it as „the world’s longest hair village”. If you want strong, long and shiny hair, you should consider using rice water on a regular basis. Rice has 75-80% starch content, what gets absorbed into the water when it’s soaked or cooked. Rice water contains vitamins and minerals, amino acids and antioxidants. It makes skin and hair healthier.
What are the benefits for hair?
Rice water decreases surface friction and increases hair elasticity. It strengthens your hair and makes it smooth and shiny. If you use it, it can protect your hair from pollution in the air and chemicals in hair care products. It makes your hair stronger by strengthening the roots. Makes it easier to detangle your hair, so you should have less damage. Less breakage. The protein boost from the rice water supports faster hair growth.
How to use it for hair?
- Rinse your hair with it: Use it after your regular shampoo and conditioner. Keep it on for five minutes and rinse it off.
- As a pre-conditioner: Use it after shampoo and before conditioner. Massage it into your hair and scalp and rinse well after five minutes.
- As a hair mask: After a mild shampoo, apply rice water. Massage it into your hair and scalp and use a shower cap for 15 minutes. Then wash it off with water.
- As a shampoo: Mix one cup of rice water, one teaspoon of shikakai powder, four tablespoons of aloe vera juice and 1-2 tablespoons of baby shampoo. Use it as a normal shampoo.
- As a co-conditioner: Add it to your hair conditioner. Use the same amount from both of them.
What else to know?
- You can use only rice water or add a few drops of essential oils, coconut oil or olive oil.
- Leave it on your hair only for 15-20 minutes.
- Use it on a regular basis, but not too often, because it may lead to rice water build-up.
- You can use any type of rice.